Tuesday, May 6, 2008

The mind is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master

So, I started school and I haven't gotten shot yet--praise Jesus. But I did pick out the safest spot to sit in my classroom just in case a shooter does come busting through the door one day. This is going to sound silly, but today I found myself staring fearfully at this mildly-retarded boy who was walking through the student center. It was just, he hand his hand under his coat in a very menacing way.

The best thing about going back to school is the commute. No really, it is. Because I don't have to go on any major highways (which means I get to look at a shit load of Applebee's restaurants and Home Depot stores and huge suburban homes in which live families much wealthier (but probably not much happier...ok, probably happier) than mine, all of which make me smile from within) and while I'm driving I get to catch up on Podcasts! My favorite Podcast, I think, is the Barnes and Noble Meet the Writers Podcast, hosted by Steve Bertrand. I'm pretty sure they record the Podcast in Chicago, because Steven Bertrand is always saying things like, "Well, here in Chicago..." That makes me think that maybe I know Steve Bertrand because I used to work at B&N's flagship store in Chicago and one of my manager's names was Steve!! But their voices don't really match. Plus, they probably got someone flashier than my manager to do the Podcast, although Steve was always very nice and his khaki slacks were always pressed neatly. Anyway, it's a good podcast...only about 10-15 minutes long, but it updates regularly and Steve Bertrand interviews all sorts of different writers. Their stories are amazing and often pretty inspiring. It might not be that interesting to someone who's not an aspiring writer, but even if you're just a book lover, you should give it a listen. Here's a link to a couple of fun ones I just listened to:

Click here and you can listen to the podcast at your computer, or you can go to iTunes and search for Barnes and Noble Meet the Writers Podcast and subscribe! I recommend listening to the Martha Beck, Debbie Macomber, and Karen Joy Fowler casts! These are the ones I listened to on the drive home today.

No comments: